Networking is key in any industry. Networking is especially important in any industry where the product you sell is yourself.
We are in an age of constant work and constant communication. It is important for any person in the marketing industry to take full advantage of the top online social networking sites, attaining email addresses, phone numbers, and addresses of everyone they meet in an industry because in a year, or two years or ten years. They may be the person you need to talk to for your next job, your next sale or they may be your next top employee.
You have to remember you can't just see people for what they can do for you but what you can do for them.
Also, with so many areas to connect and network with people; social networking sites, email, fax, text, blogs, etc. it is important to remember how much more important an actual letter, a phone call or face to face meeting can be. With the widespread reach of the internet, mobile phones and fax machines, people can run entire companies with never meeting half the employees, start run and close new accounts from across the world with never meeting the client face to face. I actually ran an nationwide account where I never met a single person face to face from that company.
With so many great options for networking and keeping in touch and with how simple it is to shoot off a text or an email. The meaning behind a written letter, phone call or personal face to face meeting now means that much more.
Remember to take the time, and go beyond the simple email or quick text. Not just in business but with all your friends and family.
I remember back in college when I was lucky enough to still receive packages from my grandmother, I wrote her a letter to say thank you. Turns out non of the other cousins had done that before and I had then started received a lot more packages. Or also just think about the last time you received a letter in the mail that was from an old friend saying hi, instead of the usual bills or junk mail. Makes you feel pretty good.
No comments:
Post a Comment